The city of Kitchener is located in Ontario, 100 kilometers from its administrative center, Torronto. It received its present name in 1916, at which time it was known as Burlin. The origin of the first name was attributed to the German settlers, who were German immigrants. It received its second name in honor of the General of the British Army. Todays Kitchener has benefited from a vibrant food, leather, machinery, and electrical engineering industry. The development of the tourism industry is evidenced by the number of travelers who visit the sites.
Kitchener attracts visitors with its attractions and traditions. Every year its the site of the Octoberfest. During its celebration, over six hundred thousand tourists come to the city, eager to take part in the grandiose spectacle. The annual Christmas market also attracts a large number of tourists. Kitschner is known for the Joseph Schneider House Museum, the Kitschner and Ortolu Symphony Orchestra, the Childrens Museum and the Little Theater.
- Air quality: 26 US AQI Good. Air quality is satisfactory, and air pollution poses little or no risk.
- Tap water: Yes, safe to drink
- Religious government: Non-religious
- Population: 230,000 people
- GDP: $42,154 / year
- Foreigners can own real estate: Yes
- Power outlets: 115V60Hz
- Internet: 24 Mbps
- Best wireless: Wind
- Pay without cash: Yes, cards OK almost everywhere
- Tipping: In Canada, tipping is expected, and is meant to keep encouraging good service. A gratuity of between 15% and 20% of the bill before tax, depending on the level of service. Tip 15% for normal service, 20% for exceptional service.
- Apartment listings: Kijiji
- Apartments: Airbnb
- Hotels: Booking.com
- More hotels: Hotels.com
- Best coffee 24/7: ON Williams Fresh Cafe
- Best taxi: Uber
- Best coworking space: Treehaus
- Online electronics shop: Best Buy
- Best hospital: St. Marys General Hospital
- Best short-haul air carrier: West Jet
- Best intl air carrier: Air Canada
- Monthly costs for expat: $2100
- Monthly costs for family: $4500
- Monthly costs for local: $1300
- Meal: $12
- Small Cola: $2
- Beer 1 Pint: $6
- Coffee: $4
View Larger Map