On the island of Vancouver, in its southeasternmost part, lies the city of Victoria. It occupies a stretch of land on the very far west side of the country. Its beautiful waterfront, bathed in balmy colors, is rarely deserted. Located south of the 49th Parallel, it is the southernmost southernmost city in western Canada. Its status makes Victoria the capital of the province of Brittany, Colombia. It is considered to be the closest to English traditions. You can see the two-story London buses in its streets. There are English bars and small cafes on the sidewalks. In summer it is warm and dry, but in winter it is overpopulated with plantings.
Before the first Swedes came to the island, it was inhabited by Salish-speaking peoples. According to documentary sources, members of the Spanish expedition appeared on the coast in 1774. ×Four years later, the English were here. Before 1855, Victoria was a poorly developed city. But after the discovery of the gold springs in Britains Colombia, its population has grown several times over.
Victorias economy now relies mainly on the public sector and services. Tourism also generates a small income for the state. The city has a university and several colleges. High-tech industries, including microelectronics and pharmaceuticals, are developed. Victoria is one of the countrys major medical development centers. The harbor is always full of yachts, cruise ships, and pleasure boats. There is an astrophysical spa, opened in the first quarter of the 20th century.
- Air quality: 27 US AQI Good. Air quality is satisfactory, and air pollution poses little or no risk.
- Tap water: Yes, safe to drink
- Religious government: Non-religious
- Population: 86,000 people
- GDP: $42,154 / year
- Foreigners can own real estate: Yes
- Power outlets: 115V60Hz
- Internet: 24 Mbps
- Best wireless: Wind
- Pay without cash: Yes, cards OK almost everywhere
- Tipping: In Canada, tipping is expected, and is meant to keep encouraging good service. A gratuity of between 15% and 20% of the bill before tax, depending on the level of service. Tip 15% for normal service, 20% for exceptional service.
- Apartment listings: Kijiji
- Apartments: Airbnb
- Hotels: Booking.com
- More hotels: Hotels.com
- Best taxi: Uber
- Best coworking space: The Dock
- Online electronics shop: Best Buy
- Best hospital: Victoria General Hospital
- Best short-haul air carrier: West Jet
- Best intl air carrier: Air Canada
- Monthly costs for expat: $1900
- Monthly costs for family: $4100
- Monthly costs for local: $1200
- Meal: $9
- Small Cola: $1.7
- Beer 1 Pint: $4.5
- Coffee: $3.5
View Larger Map