Lethburyridge is located in the province of Alberta and is one of its largest communities. It occupies an area near the tip of the Rocky Mountains to the southeast of Calgary. Its territory extends along the edge of the Îlemain River. Its status makes it the transportation, logistics, and trade center of the southern region of the province. It originated as a small mining settlement in the late 19th century. From its inception and at the beginning of its development, its economy was based on the development of coal mines.
Before the first Europeans arrived, the land was inhabited by indigenous peoples, including the Cree, Assinians, Blacks, and Sards. The first mine was opened by Nicolás Chirão. Eight years later, the Coal and Gas Company, chaired by William Lethbridge, began to develop the mine. Eventually a town would be named in his honor. Coal was mined almost until the middle of the 20th century. The last mine stopped operating in 1957. Subsequent intensive redevelopment transformed Leathbridge into the large city it is today.
- Air quality: 22 US AQI Good. Air quality is satisfactory, and air pollution poses little or no risk.
- Tap water: Yes, safe to drink
- Religious government: Non-religious
- Population: 93,000 people
- GDP: $42,154 / year
- Foreigners can own real estate: Yes
- Power outlets: 115V60Hz
- Internet: 24 Mbps
- Best wireless: Wind
- Pay without cash: Yes, cards OK almost everywhere
- Tipping: In Canada, tipping is expected, and is meant to keep encouraging good service. A gratuity of between 15% and 20% of the bill before tax, depending on the level of service. Tip 15% for normal service, 20% for exceptional service.
- Apartment listings: Kijiji
- Apartments: Airbnb
- Hotels: Booking.com
- More hotels: Hotels.com
- Best coffee 24/7: Second Cup
- Best taxi: Uber
- Best coworking space: Startup
- Online electronics shop: Best Buy
- Best hospital: Chinook Regional Hospital
- Best short-haul air carrier: West Jet
- Best intl air carrier: Air Canada
- Monthly costs for expat: $2200
- Monthly costs for family: $5400
- Monthly costs for local: $1500
- Meal: $19
- Small Cola: $3
- Beer 1 Pint: $9.5
- Coffee: $6
View Larger Map