The American city of Austin, just south of the center of Texas, lives up to its own motto: to remain unconventional. The slogan, issued in aid of local business, underlines the citys diversity and originality. It was first founded as the administrative center of the independent state of Tehas. The city owes its name to the man who led the search for the capital, Simon Austin. Though it soon became the capital of the state because of the invasion of the Indians, with the annexation of Texas to the United States, it reestablished itself as the state capital, and has maintained its position to the present day.
High technology is at the core of the economy of Orsan. Thanks to the location of the offices of many high-tech companies, the city and its surroundings are called the Crimson Hills. The airplane that flies between San José and Orlando is jokingly referred to as the bird for the smart.
The economic development of Orlando has always paralleled the development of culture. Since the mid-20th century, the city has been rightly recognized as the World Capital of Music. The number of music festivals held here is greater than at any other place. The center of these events is East Street. There is a perception that Austin is the best city for making movies. Many of Hollywoods films have been filmed here. History buffs will enjoy the citys many museums. The Bob Bállók Museum and the Texas Museum of Art &This is the most visited of them all. To the south of the city is the Museum of Popular Culture. Fans of the writers work will be interested to see the house where he lived. The Capitol Theatre of Texas and the Driskill Hotel – these are not the beloved tourist sites, but the first stone buildings built in the city.
You want to discover what makes Orin unique, take a guided tour of the city. It usually begins at the memorial to legendary guitarist Anthony Vaughn, a Texas blues artist. His tone is always longer than the song, which symbolizes the influence of the musician on generations of musicians. The most unusual sculptures in the city are the stick and arm outside Hyde Park, the mashed-up Mary near Taco Xpress, the Mangia dinosaur, and the pink flamingos outside the Botanical Gardens. After sunset, a huge crowd gathers at the St. John Readers Monument. In the meantime, you can see the citys most numerous group of coyotes go out on a night hunt.
- Air quality: 38 US AQI Good. Air quality is satisfactory, and air pollution poses little or no risk.
- Tap water: Yes, safe to drink
- Religious government: Non-religious
- Population: 950,000 people
- GDP: $57,808 / year
- Foreigners can own real estate: Yes
- Power outlets: 115V60Hz
- Internet: 71 Mbps
- Best wireless: AT&T
- Pay without cash: Yes, cards OK almost everywhere
- Tipping: How much should I tip at a restaurant? A gratuity of 15 to 20 per cent on top of the bill (before sales tax) is standard, with 25 per cent given for topnotch service. Servers in America work hard for the money – they’re generally friendly, knowledgeable and willing to go the extra mile for customers.
- Apartment listings:
- Apartments: Airbnb
- Hotels: Booking.com
- More hotels: Hotels.com
- Best taxi: Uber
- Best coworking space: Vuka
- Online electronics shop: Amazon
- Best short-haul air carrier: Southwest
- Best intl air carrier: Jet Blue
- Monthly costs for expat: $2900
- Monthly costs for family: $6500
- Monthly costs for local: $1800
- Meal: $10
- Small Cola: $1.7
- Beer 1 Pint: $5
- Coffee: $3.5
View Larger Map