The city of Honolulu is located on the third largest island of the Hawaiian archipelago, the island of Oahu, and is the capital of the state of Hawaii. In Guavayan, Honolulu means protected cave. Based on archaeological data, the first settlements in this part of the island date back to the 11th century.
The Hawaiian Islands have been unknown to Europeans for a long time. Captain James Cook discovered Oahu Island in 1778, but did not explore the southeastern part of it, and then the first European to set sail for Honolulu was the Briton William Brown in 1794. New lands began to be acquired.
In 1804, King Kamehameha I stood out among the other tribal leaders. He took over the island of Oahu and founded the kings court at Vaikiki (now Tourist Honolulu). The city developed and, under the influence of the Europeans, became an important point in the maritime connection between North America and Asia. American settlers come to the island, establish settlements, and build factories. The city becomes the center of trade on the islands.
In 1893, the Kingdom of Hawaii becomes the fifth state of the United States and is named the State of Hawaii.
The economy of the state is based largely on tourism. The tropical oceanic climate is good for beach vacation all year round. The airport at Honolulu annually serves about 20,000 passengers. There are some of the best hotels, restaurants, and entertainment venues on the beach in Vaikikika. Not too far from the city is the crater of the sunken hollows of the Diamond Head, a favorite destination for tourists. And in the outskirts of Honolulu is the Memorial Complex and the current U.S. Navy base, Pearl Harbor.
In the center of the city is the only royal palace in the United States, the Palais de la Jealousy, the former seat of the Hawaiian monarchs.
Most tourists to Honolulu are fans of diving and surfing. They are also fascinated by their distinctive indigenous culture: the traditional flower dances, the hula dance, ethnic tattooing, and canoeing. The Hawaiians have a moderate lifestyle and are very welcoming to visitors.
- Air quality: 14 US AQI Good. Air quality is satisfactory, and air pollution poses little or no risk.
- Tap water: Yes, safe to drink
- Religious government: Non-religious
- Population: 350,000 people
- Population density: euro euro empty: 24x24m 576m per person
- GDP: $57,808 / year
- Foreigners can own real estate: Yes
- Power outlets: 115V60Hz
- Internet: 47 Mbps
- Best wireless: T-Mobile
- Pay without cash: Yes, cards OK almost everywhere
- Tipping: How much should I tip at a restaurant? A gratuity of 15 to 20 per cent on top of the bill (before sales tax) is standard, with 25 per cent given for topnotch service. Servers in America work hard for the money – they’re generally friendly, knowledgeable and willing to go the extra mile for customers.
- Apartment listings: https://airbnb.com
- Apartments: Airbnb
- Hotels: Booking.com
- More hotels: Hotels.com
- Best taxi: Uber
- Best coworking space: The Box Jelly
- Online electronics shop: Amazon
- Best short-haul air carrier: United
- Best intl air carrier: United
- Monthly costs for expat: $3700
- Monthly costs for family: $7000
- Monthly costs for local: $2000
- Meal: $12
- Small Cola: $2
- Beer 1 Pint: $6
- Coffee: $4
View Larger Map