Sacramento – Californias sixth most populous city, but it is the capital of the Golden State. The city is located in the central part of the state. It lies in the California Valley, the place where the Sacramento River flows into the América River. A portion of the river is surrounded by the Sierra Nevada Mountains. This area is flood-prone, so urban development is mainly east of the historic center of Sacramento – further away from the danger zone. The Sacramento area – is a place with a very pleasant climate: warm and wet winters and mild and dry summers.
The territory of the present city has long been inhabited by the Indian tribes of the Mohicans and Nesenans. The first Europeans to explore the area were the Spanish expedition of Gabriel Morrail (1799). It is said that he is the one who gave the name to the area. Fascinated by the natural treasures of the region, he exclaimed, Its like a sacred gift, meaning sacred, mysterious. When the village of «whites» appeared, it was simply called Sataters Lumberyard. It was founded in 1839 by Szatutather, a German who was a wood harvester. Later the village was named New Hollywood.
The situation changed in 1848, when the Sacramento area became the center of the «Golden Plague. The son of the founder of New Helvetia founded a new settlement next to his fathers village by the name of the river. As early as 1849, Sacramento was elevated to city status, and the following year it became the capital of California. However, it wasnt until 1864 that the state legislature first convened in Sacramento. Only in 1879 did it do so on a permanent basis.
As in other U.S. capitals, a significant number of people in Sacramento are engaged in the public sector. By the way, the city is home to the state-owned quarters and manufacturing facilities of many large companies. A quarter of the citys population is Lebanese-Americans. The crime rate is twice that of the U.S. average.
Sacramento can boast the worlds largest railway museum and the California Capital. There are also about a dozen parks within the city limits, including the William Land Park, which has a zoo and golf courses.
- Air quality: 31 US AQI Good. Air quality is satisfactory, and air pollution poses little or no risk.
- Tap water: Yes, safe to drink
- Religious government: Non-religious
- Population: 500,000 people
- GDP: $57,808 / year
- Foreigners can own real estate: Yes
- Power outlets: 115V60Hz
- Internet: 54 Mbps
- Best wireless: T-Mobile
- Pay without cash: Yes, cards OK almost everywhere
- Tipping: How much should I tip at a restaurant? A gratuity of 15 to 20 per cent on top of the bill (before sales tax) is standard, with 25 per cent given for topnotch service. Servers in America work hard for the money – they’re generally friendly, knowledgeable and willing to go the extra mile for customers.
- Apartment listings: Craigslist
- Apartments: Airbnb
- Hotels: Booking.com
- More hotels: Hotels.com
- Best taxi: Uber
- Best coworking space: The Urban Hive
- Online electronics shop: Amazon
- Best hospital: Kaiser Permanente South Sacramento Hospital
- Best short-haul air carrier: Southwest
- Best intl air carrier: United
- Monthly costs for expat: $2200
- Monthly costs for family: $5500
- Monthly costs for local: $1600
- Meal: $10
- Small Cola: $1.5
- Beer 1 Pint: $5
- Coffee: $4
View Larger Map