The city of Raleigh is one of the fastest growing cities in the United States. It lies where the hills of the Peak Mountains meet the Primorsky Plain. Raleigh was planned and built as the new capital of the state in 1792. It was named in memory of the English inventor and traveler Walter Raleigh.
The present day Raleigh – one of the regions largest research centers. It is one of the pinnacle cities of the Research Triangle. Accordingly, the city has many institutions of higher learning.
Raleighs architectural plan has the characteristics of a typical Eastern-Southern American city. Interesting objects are represented by administrative buildings and school buildings. Most noteworthy is the site of the «Bells & Bells at the University of the North Carolina. Raleigh is sometimes referred to as the «city of arbors, as it is known for its many recreational areas, including the «Oak Park». There are museums, sports fields, such as the Country Club, as well as public ones.
- Air quality: 36 US AQI Good. Air quality is satisfactory, and air pollution poses little or no risk.
- Tap water: Yes, safe to drink
- Religious government: Non-religious
- Population: 460,000 people
- GDP: $57,808 / year
- Foreigners can own real estate: Yes
- Power outlets: 115V60Hz
- Internet: 60 Mbps
- Best wireless: T-Mobile
- Pay without cash: Yes, cards OK almost everywhere
- Tipping: How much should I tip at a restaurant? A gratuity of 15 to 20 per cent on top of the bill (before sales tax) is standard, with 25 per cent given for topnotch service. Servers in America work hard for the money – they’re generally friendly, knowledgeable and willing to go the extra mile for customers.
- Apartment listings: Craigslist
- Apartments: Airbnb
- Hotels: Booking.com
- More hotels: Hotels.com
- Best taxi: Uber
- Best coworking space: HQ Raleigh
- Online electronics shop: Amazon
- Best hospital: Duke University Hospital
- Best short-haul air carrier: Southwest
- Best intl air carrier: Delta
- Monthly costs for expat: $1900
- Monthly costs for family: $4600
- Monthly costs for local: $1300
- Meal: $10
- Small Cola: $1.7
- Beer 1 Pint: $5
- Coffee: $3.5
View Larger Map