New York – one of the largest megacities not only in the United States, but also in the world. Founded by immigrants, with a population of just over twenty-two million people, New York is one of the worlds most cosmopolitan cities. New York is divided into five neighborhoods: Brooklyn, Brooks, Quinnins, Staten Island and Manhattan. Today, New York is the worlds most important financial, political, cultural and economic center.
It was originally called New Amsterdam because it was founded by colonists from Holland in the 17th century. Later the Anglo-Anglicans take over the city and change it to New York City.
New York City – a city of skyscrapers. And that clearly demonstrates one of the citys symbols – the Empire State Building, which after the terrorist attack that destroyed the World Trade Center – The Tower of Diamonds has become the tallest building in New York City. The view from its vantage point is breathtaking, especially at night when the citys brightly lit streets look like the Milky Way.
The Statue of Liberty is perhaps the most famous American symbol. Produced in France and given as a gift on the anniversary of U.S. independence, it embodies American democracy and the yearning for liberty. Every year, more than five million tourists visit Liberté to gaze out at this east-facing statue and climb up to the observation deck at its coronet.
Taims Square – it is the main street and the heart of Manhattan. Its where New Yorkers celebrate New Years Eve and hold concerts and parades. Built with skyscrapers, Taimis Square is particularly beautiful at night, illuminated by the lights of its many reclamations and new displays. It features buildings for giant corporations, television stations, restaurants, stores, and movie theaters. Theres also a lively feature on Tiames Square – a naked pounder with a guitar. For nearly a decade, hes been strutting around the square playing songs and taking pictures with tourists.
Brooklyn Bridge – an ellegant structure connecting Manhattan and Bruoklyn that attracts attention with its steel cords extending from the pylons. The best time to walk the bridge – its early in the morning when the city is cloaked in a glowing haze and has a great view of the city.
Central Park – a nook of tranquility in the bustling and ever-hurrying city of New York. In terms of size, the kingdom of Monaco is an oasis in which you can just walk around, build a gas-powered park or take a boat ride on the lake.
One of the highlights of Central Park is the bronze statue of Alice, encircled by piercings from Louis Crurrells ill-fated novel Illyses in Wonderland «Alice in Wonderland. The park is also home to the New York Park.
The South Park – an area not far from the University of New York, with a cozy square that is lined with large numbers of fancy beacons. There are monuments to Abram Lincoln and Mahamma Gandhi.
Ano doubt that the Museum of Modern Art will appeal to connoisseurs and lovers of fine art. It is not for nothing considered one of the finest museums in the world, with masterpieces such as «Starry Night» by Van Hogue, «The Girls of Lavigne» by Picasso, «Water Lilies» by Manet. The museum building has been repeatedly transformed and reconstructed. As a result, the museum is now a glass-and-metal, multi-story building in which the galleries and exhibits have been dispersed in an inconsequential manner.
New York – an enormous city of many cultures that mixed in a cauldron, surprising tourists with the length of its streets and the height of its skyscrapers. Once in New York, you can never take it out of your mind.
- Air quality: 27 US AQI Good. Air quality is satisfactory, and air pollution poses little or no risk.
- Tap water: Yes, safe to drink
- Religious government: Non-religious
- Population: 8,400,000 people
- Population density: busy: 10x10m 100m per person
- GDP: $57,808 / year
- Foreigners can own real estate: Yes
- Power outlets: 115V60Hz
- Internet: 31 Mbps
- Best wireless: Virgin Mobile
- Pay without cash: Yes, cards OK almost everywhere
- Tipping: How much should I tip at a restaurant? A gratuity of 15 to 20 per cent on top of the bill (before sales tax) is standard, with 25 per cent given for topnotch service. Servers in America work hard for the money – they’re generally friendly, knowledgeable and willing to go the extra mile for customers.
- Apartment listings: Craigslist
- Apartments: Airbnb
- Hotels: Booking.com
- More hotels: Hotels.com
- Best coffee 24/7: Veselka
- Best coffee: Modca
- Best taxi: Uber
- Best coworking space: Spacious
- Online electronics shop: Amazon
- Best short-haul air carrier: Frontier
- Best intl air carrier: Delta
- Monthly costs for expat: $3700
- Monthly costs for family: $10300
- Monthly costs for local: $2900
- Meal: $15
- Small Cola: $3
- Beer 1 Pint: $6
- Coffee: $4
View Larger Map