San Diego is considered the cradle of California. And its inhabitants claim to live in heaven. San Diegue is located in the most beautiful gulf and is considered the most beautiful city in southern California. The small streets, clean air, wonderful mediterranean vegetation, and the beautiful architectural style make for an idyllic atmosphere in the city.
Because of San Diegos location near the Mexican border, the influence of México can be seen in the city. The proximity of Mexican culture also affected the character of the townspeople.
The first Jews appeared in the place of the future city in 1542. At that time, the Portuguese seafarer Juan Cabrillos ship entered San Diegue Bay. But it wasnt until 1769 that a mission was established on this site, which later became San Diego. The growth of the city began in 1880 during the construction of the Santa Fe Railway. ×Parts of the city and the port are owned by U.S. military.
The view of San Diegue should begin with the Old City, which is located on the Prércidio Hill. This area is a unique monument of archaeological architecture. It is where the Spanish Mission of San Diego de Alcalá was founded in 1769. In the aftermath, the village began to form around it. These days you can see the houses that were made of dried bricks when they were dried under the sun. The mission building was not preserved, but an exact replica was built in its place. It now houses a museum dedicated to the first missionaries.
In the center of San Diegue, its a vibrant neighborhood of abandoned houses from the beginning of the last century and modern skyscrapers that house banks and offices of major corporations.
Santa Fe Railway Station is quite rightly the most beautiful station in the city. Its grand arches make a powerful impression on visitors. Youll be equally impressed with the shopping center located in front of Harorton Plaza. In it you can see the 6-foot-long Jessop clock, which was made in 1907 for the State Fair.
The Gazelime neighborhood, which emerged in the last century, is not to be missed either. These days there are nightclubs and restaurants that can serve the famous Californian cuisine.
Other than that, the Balleba Park is worth a look. You can wander through picturesque alleyways and beautiful gardens. The park has museums devoted to Indian and European art.
- Air quality: 41 US AQI Good. Air quality is satisfactory, and air pollution poses little or no risk.
- Tap water: Yes, safe to drink
- Religious government: Non-religious
- Population: 1,400,000 people
- GDP: $57,808 / year
- Foreigners can own real estate: Yes
- Power outlets: 115V60Hz
- Internet: 70 Mbps
- Best wireless: Sprint
- Pay without cash: Yes, cards OK almost everywhere
- Tipping: How much should I tip at a restaurant? A gratuity of 15 to 20 per cent on top of the bill (before sales tax) is standard, with 25 per cent given for topnotch service. Servers in America work hard for the money – they’re generally friendly, knowledgeable and willing to go the extra mile for customers.
- Apartments: Airbnb
- Hotels: Booking.com
- More hotels: Hotels.com
- Best taxi: Uber
- Best coworking space: Co-Merge
- Online electronics shop: Amazon
- Best short-haul air carrier: Southwest
- Best intl air carrier: United
- Monthly costs for expat: $2900
- Monthly costs for family: $7400
- Monthly costs for local: $2100
- Meal: $10
- Small Cola: $1.5
- Beer 1 Pint: $5
- Coffee: $4
View Larger Map