The largest city in Oregon, Portland is located to the northwest of the state, where the Columbia and Willamette rivers meet. Just a few dozen kilometers from the city is the highest peak of Oregon, Mount Hood (3,426 meters) – a point of attraction for many tourists. Portland is known for its developed streetcar network, including the air trams (gauges), as well as the Crème Forest – a large concentration of IT companies.
Privileges of the upper cogs – the iconic occupants of local places. In spite of the richness of the land, colonization of the area was very slow. The first settlement of Collinsians in the Willamette Valley was called La Paulina. In 1843 the owner of the land, Overton, sold it to two Massachusetts townspeople. Each of them wanted to name a new town after his own. The names fate was decided by the telephone, and the village was named after the Eastern Atlantic Portland. The monument, known as the Portland Penny, is now housed in a local museum. The city’s development was enhanced by its access to the sea and by its location on the Great Northern Road.
Portugal has many names, each one representing one of the many aspects of the city. For example, City of Roses symbolizes the fact that every year the annual Rose Festival takes place in Portland. The name Beer City is named after the tradition of Portlands breweries, and it is still remembered today. The bridges that were rebuilt across the city of Willamette are the basis of the name City of Bridges.
The many museums (Museum of Industry and Science, Museum of Art, Children’s Museum, Museum of History), theaters, and galleries are all notable features of Portland. Portugal is one of the most interesting art centers in the U.S. Its also the largest city in Oregon, considered to be just about the greenest city in the country. Its home to the worlds smallest park – Millennium Park is 0.3 square meters in size. The Chinese Garden and the Washington Park are also a sight to behold. The citys symbol – a statue of Portlandia in the form of a woman dressed in an authentic style with a trident in her hand.
Portlands originator is the film director and author of The Simpsons, Mathieu Greening.
- Air quality: 21 US AQI Good. Air quality is satisfactory, and air pollution poses little or no risk.
- Tap water: Yes, safe to drink
- Religious government: Non-religious
- Population: 640,000 people
- GDP: $57,808 / year
- Foreigners can own real estate: Yes
- Power outlets: 115V60Hz
- Internet: 66 Mbps
- Best wireless: T-Mobile
- Pay without cash: Yes, cards OK almost everywhere
- Tipping: How much should I tip at a restaurant? A gratuity of 15 to 20 per cent on top of the bill (before sales tax) is standard, with 25 per cent given for topnotch service. Servers in America work hard for the money – they’re generally friendly, knowledgeable and willing to go the extra mile for customers.
- Apartment listings: Craigslist
- Apartments: Airbnb
- Hotels: Booking.com
- More hotels: Hotels.com
- Best taxi: Uber
- Best coworking space: Den Work Space
- Online electronics shop: Amazon
- Best short-haul air carrier: Alaska
- Best intl air carrier: Southwest
- Monthly costs for expat: $2400
- Monthly costs for family: $5800
- Monthly costs for local: $1700
- Meal: $10
- Small Cola: $1.7
- Beer 1 Pint: $5
- Coffee: $3.5
View Larger Map