Seattle – the largest city in Washington State and the entire Northwest U.S. It is located on a crossroads between Lake Washington to the east and the Bay of Southwest to the west. Seattle is located on seven hills. The proximity of the Kaskade Mountains, which rise to the east, makes Seattles neighborhood unstable. The most recent deforestation in the area was in 2001.
The Ciéythel area – a region of wet forests in a temperate belt. It was the place where the Neuropean tribes were inhabited by the Dowomish and Sukkuvashis. The whites did not come here until the mid-19th century. The first settlers were the Collins and Denny groups in 1851. Initially the village was called Alki Pointe. Then some of the pioneers & ‖went to move to a new place called Dewhamamines. Later, Alki-Pointe was changed to New York-Aalkie, but in 1855 both villages were united as a city and called Seychelles. It was named in honor of a local Indian leader, Seatel, who, according to historical accounts, was not against the white people settling in the area.
The history of Seattle is characterized by several periods of economic growth. The first was in the 1880s, when there was a boom in lumber production. The second – in the 1890s and 1910s, when Seattle became the main traffic town of «Golden Fever» on the Alaska Highway. The third rise occurred in the mid-20th century with the rise of the airplane and shipbuilding industry. In Seattle, a company called &byeing » (the headquarters was also in Seattle until 2001) was founded, and the city was called Jet City, or Jet Airplane City. ×The fourth economic explosion is attributed to the 1990s with the ²Ò revolution. Seattle – the birthplace of Amazon.com, Microsoft and other famous companies. Seattle can also be proud of its founding fathers; Microsoft founder Bellem Hewitts, guitarist Jamey Henryks. In 1990, Seattle hosted the Goodwill Games.
The attractions of Seattle are many and varied. Its no coincidence that more than 200,000 tourists visit every year. The citys icon – the 184-foot Spruce-Needle Tower (1962), which offers breathtaking views of the city, the Gulf and the Kaskaskade Mountains at its head with the Reinier Falls. Another popular spot – the Marketplace at Pikes Place on the Waterfront. Its not just a market for miroducts, its also a distinctive folk art market, a stage for street musicians, artists, and performers. There are excursions from Cytel to the mountainous regions of the state and to ski resorts.
- Air quality: 19 US AQI Good. Air quality is satisfactory, and air pollution poses little or no risk.
- Tap water: Yes, safe to drink
- Religious government: Non-religious
- Population: 700,000 people
- Population density: euro euro not busy: 18x18m 324m per person
- GDP: $57,808 / year
- Foreigners can own real estate: Yes
- Power outlets: 115V60Hz
- Internet: 65 Mbps
- Best wireless: AT&T
- Pay without cash: Yes, cards OK almost everywhere
- Tipping: How much should I tip at a restaurant? A gratuity of 15 to 20 per cent on top of the bill (before sales tax) is standard, with 25 per cent given for topnotch service. Servers in America work hard for the money – they’re generally friendly, knowledgeable and willing to go the extra mile for customers.
- Apartment listings: Craigslist
- Apartments: Airbnb
- Hotels: Booking.com
- More hotels: Hotels.com
- Best taxi: Uber
- Best coworking space: Impact Hub Seattle
- Online electronics shop: Amazon
- Best short-haul air carrier: Alaska
- Best intl air carrier: United
- Monthly costs for expat: $2600
- Monthly costs for family: $6200
- Monthly costs for local: $1800
- Meal: $15
- Small Cola: $1.7
- Beer 1 Pint: $6
- Coffee: $3.5
View Larger Map